Interpretation on The Mind of Aaron Hernandez

Recently, Netflix released a documentary on the life and trial of Aaron Hernandez known as Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez. As a back story, Hernandez was a famous NFL player for the New England Patriots. On April 15, 2015 Hernandez is found guilty of first-degree murder. He was sentenced to life imprisonment without parole. Before watching the documentary, I convinced myself that what Aaron did was an accident. Maybe he was intoxicated and wasn't thinking clearly when he murdered his friend Ordin Llyod. Was it the looks? The charm? Or the fact that he was a pro football player that made me think he was incapable to sanely commit this crime. Soon, the documentary provided me with information that would eventually change mind. The series showed that on the day of the crime, surveillance video from Hernandez's home was deleted, the rental car he returned contained bullet shell casings, and the tires on the rental car matched the tire tracks found on the scene. To my now found knowledge, the victim was not only his friend, but his fiancĂ©’s  sister boyfriend. While looking through Hernandez family houses for evidence, it was discovered that there was a car in his cousin's garage that was linked to a open case double homicide in Boston in 2012. Right after their murder in Boston, Hernandez signed a 40 million dollar contact with the New England Patriots. While trialed for double homicide in 2017, he was acquitted of the crime. Based off the documentary, I believe he committed the double homicide due to the fact the car was found in his cousin's garage, and the day after the murder, Hernandez got a tattoo of a fired bullet, and a cylinder of a revolver with one chamber empty. By the end of the documentary, they discussed Hernandez's sexuality. There was intuition that he was gay or bisexual along with having a partner while imprisoned. Constriction of the documentary made it seem as if his sexuality was the motive of killing Odin. Maybe Odin knew his secret, and Aaron was nervous he would tell. On April 19, 2017, Hernandez committed suicide in his prison cell. His brain was then studied which showed he suffered from Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) which is a neurodegenerative disease caused by repeated
head injuries. This is confirmed with a practical lifetime history of football where he experienced multiple head injuries.This disease causes impulsiveness, aggression, memory loss, and depression. His lawyer now argues that Netflix got the motive misconstructed and the CTE is a factor that played a role in Aaron's crimes. I am not sure which motive I believe but I am sure Aaron Hernandez is not as innocent as he seems.

Comments

  1. I have heard of this movie and after reading your blog, I am for sure going to watch it in the near future! I am a sucker for a good crime movie too. I loved reading what your thoughts were about his innocence. Great blog, Brianna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only heard of the story but never actually dug into it. Really interesting to see how the lawyer is arguing with the situation. I wonder if they can actually do anything about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also watched this documentary and feel as though many people question his innocence now. Also, I did a research paper on chronic traumatic encephalopathy and the impact it has on players. It is so sad to see someone so young have CTE. If you have free time and want to learn more about the discovery of CTE, I highly recommend watching the movie "Concussion" with Will Smith. I also recommend watching the PBS Special "League of Denial"!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts