Hip-Hop Evolution

In honor of Black History Month, Black Student Union hosted an evolution of hip-hop dance party. During this presentation, we taught the students of ONU popular dance moves from the early 90's to today's new dances. This opportunity allowed us to glorify the evolution of hip-hop and keep its' purpose alive. We started the program, with an introduction to hip-hop and it's originality. Hip-hop culture originated in the late 1970's in South Bronx, New York as an underground and urban movement. Being as diverse as it is, hiphops' core is composed of 4 elements including: Djing, Rapping or Mcing, Graffiti, and B-boying or dancing. For the event, we mainly focused on the aspect of dance. With each dance, we gave a brief overview of the dance and provided a tutorial for those who did not know. The participants favorites where mainly the line dances such as the wobble, cupid shuffle, and cha cha slide. They also enjoyed the older dances such as the cabbage patch, kid and play,  and learn back. Being of black heritage and culture, I was glad to present this presentation to the fellow students of my school. Being in the middle of a corn field, there is a lack of diversity and representation. Most of the students at my school, lack the cultural differences and experiences of interacting with minorities so this was a great opportunity for us to interconnect. It brought great joy  to see everyone actually being involved and willing to participate and learn. Although there was a great turnout, I do wish more majority students attended the event. As a executive position holder in Black Student Union, I will continue to make these efforts to diversify and engage the students of ONU.

Comments

  1. This is so cool! I am sure this was an awesome event and brought so many people together! I would have loved to attend this event but I did not realize it was going on campus (probably because I don't check all my emails). Thank you for sharing about this event and I will keep the lookout on more events to come!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts