Social Media and Healthcare

Over the years, as social media has progressed, I have noticed they are being implemented into the healthcare field. Doctors are recording surgeries and posting them on Snapchat, filming abscess removals and pimple popping, and lastly reveling a new set of veneers on Instagram. Do you think being active on social media in the healthcare field is beneficial. When I say active, I mean filming surgeries and recording consultations not regular facility promotions. Filming while working as a healthcare professional can be tricky. You would have to make sure you will not violate HIPPA which basically protects patient confidentiality. The patient may have given consent to film but you still are exposing your patients to a large fan base and whose to say their personal information such as address won’t be exposed during filming. Now the patient is potentially at risk because of this leaked information. Don’t get me wrong though, I enjoy watching Dr. Miami’s surgeries on Snapchat! It allows me to feel really involved and get insight on the daily life of a cosmetic surgeon. I also believe it is very informative and removes the stigma on getting plastic surgery or whatever cosmetic surgery is performed. I just wonder are doctors less engaged on their patients and less focused on the task at hand just to post on social media. 

Comments

Popular Posts